Computer / Electronics Rescue
I hate to see older computers and electronics (early 80's and before)
lost when they are no longer needed. I can provide rescue services in the
Pacific Northwest area (I live near Seattle, Wa. USA). If you or your company is
scrapping out older computers or electronics please contact me to see if this is
something that is worth saving. Please
email me with the details. For the
right computers, peripherals, electronics, manuals and software I can remove
them for you. If you want to sell any of these yourself and need a hand getting
started feel free to contact me as well.
My goal here is not to profit from this hardware, my goal is to help
keep it out of the scrap heap. I subscribe to several email lists for
computer collectors and can forward your information to these lists if the items
are not something I can deal with personally. (ClassicComp,
PDP8 Lovers, etc.)
Computer systems that pre-date the early 80's can be worth significant
money. I encourage you to checkout the
Vintage Computer Marketplace and EBay,
researching closed sales on EBay can give you an idea of what an older system
can bring at auction. Note that the peripherals, manuals and software for older
systems can have value as well.
- DEC PDP-8's often sell for $1000 plus.
- S-100 systems (IMSAI, Altair etc.) often sell for over $500.
- Other personal computers from the 70's and early 80's often sell
for significant money as well.
- Software, terminals and other peripherals sometimes sell well.
- NIXIE tubes, Dekatrons - Equipment with pre-LED displays can be
- Old calculators, mechanical calculators, sliderules - all
- The list goes on and on!
Research it before you throw it out, it may well be just what a collector is
Classic Computer Collector's Code of Conduct
As a serious collector, I follow the Classic
Computer Collector's Code of Conduct (CCCCC). The
CCCCC is listed here for your reference:
- I will do my best to find a home for any
classic or unwanted computer.
- I will return or destroy any personal or
commercially sensitive data I find on a machine
I acquire, and will keep it in the strictest
confidence, should I find it necessary to view
- I will aid users in the decomissioning of
their machines, should they require assistance.
- I will respect active software and
- I will, whenever possible, repair the
computers in my collection and maintain them in
working order, and will assist others in doing
the same, to the best of my ability. I will
actively encourage the repair, maintenance, and
use of older computers, in preference to the
irreversible alteration of machines and parts
for non-computer applications.
- I will actively promote the exchange of
computers, parts, and information among
collectors, and will refrain from hoarding
multiple examples of any item.
- I will actively promote ethical collecting.
All content Copyright 2004 Neil B. Breeden II -
05/23/2004 07:25:11 PM